Saturday, August 24, 2013

Scripture study journal - The Spirit as Payment for our Service

[My daughter occasionally asks that I share some of my spiritul thoughts. I posted one a while back about being led my the eye of God. I will do others here occasionally.]

- - - - - - - -
26 And the priests were not to depend upon the people for their support; but for their labor they were to receive the grace of God, that they might wax strong in the Spirit, having the knowledge of God, that they might teach with power and authority from God. (Mosiah 18:26)

I have always glossed over this verse, thinking about how we do not do our callings in the church in order to get money. This time, however, it came to me what this really says. There is definitely something that we receive because of our service to the Lord.

Earlier in the day, a thought came to me how I should consciously consider the power of the Spirit as I meet people. I always enjoy smiling at people and showing friendliness, but our real influence with others comes through the Spirit - the Holy Ghost - and people feeling that influence. The smile helps and is really important in order for people to be more open, but if the Spirit does not accompany that show of friendship, it probably will not go much further. Spirits must touch spirits in order for real communication to take place.

Then, as I read that scripture about Alma and his people at the waters of Mormon, it came clear that as we serve, the grace of God comes to us (as our payment for our service) making the spirit more powerful within us. We are blessed by that power, but more importantly, through that we are then more able to serve the Lord.

Just now, as I am thinking of that, another scripture comes to mind, from Nephi:

9 But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul. (2 Nephi 32:9)

No comments:

Post a Comment