Friday, January 31, 2014

Having been so blessed ...

Last Wednesday in Institute we were studying Alma chapters 8-16. I had not noticed before the details of Alma in the first part of his words to the people of Ammonihah. Particularly in verses 19 to 22 he lists the blessings the people of Nephi had received. I asked the students to go through the list - there are 14 "having ..." points there. I asked them to compare that list with their own lives and make such a list. In German, there are 14 "nachdem" points.

I asked myself in preparation for the lesson what my blessings were - particularly those which came into play in preparing me and my life for my current condition in the Gospel and the Kingdom of God. It is also a great list.

Then, I ask myself (and I asked the students), after so many blessings and preparations that went into bringing us to where we now are, there are two questions:

1. Are we grateful for those blessings?
2. How can we turn away from all that we have been given?

The second question is really what Alma was asking the people. Each of us struggles with our own trials and difficulties. As we face the thoughts and decisions that might lead us away from the Lord and righteous living, we need to remind ourselves of those great "having been ..." blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment