Monday, September 25, 2017

Change and Permanence - Things that Matter


I woke up in a nostalgic reverie this morning. I have always been a person who appreciates the past and love to read and to record history. This morning my thoughts were directed towards understanding the impermanence of what I had always considered solid structures of my past.

As I grow up and live, some things are just assumed and seem to be the stones of the foundation of life: the schools I attended, the churches, friends, family, even the experiences in missions. What brought this on (this reverie) is the change that just took place in our old ward, the West Jordan 4th Ward, yesterday.

We lived in the West Jordan 4th ward from October 1980 until we sold our home there in August 2017. Yesterday, that ward was basically broken up and became parts of three other wards. The new arrangement does away with the numbers (4th, 11th, 29th, 43rd and 44th wards) and now what was once the West Jordan 4th ward is now parts of the Coppergate, Camelot Park and the Meadowlands wards of the stake. I assume that eventually the name of the stake will be changed from the "West Jordan Utah East Stake" to something that makes more sense.

Then I thought about all the changes of the past: The Computer Center at the University of Utah was dissolved and much change has taken place with what I knew in all my years at the U. My High School, Granite High, once one of the two largest high schools in the state, no longer exists and the buildings are being or are already torn down. My elementary school in Park City, Marsac Elementary, is not a school, though the building is still being used (as a city office building). Many of the houses I lived in are no longer standing. My grandparents' home in Oak City was torn down many years ago. Even a number of the people we came to know and love in our recent missions have since passed away and they are now just fond memories.

But that leads to what really matters.

We have such wonderful associations with people, family, friends and associates.  In everyday, even casual living, I have come to know so many dear people. Some connections still exist, but many are not still connected. Family is much stronger, though still it is hard when a child no longer communicates with us. Still, we cherish our dear loved ones and even though we are apart, we still connect through means of modern technology. Perhaps the lack of actual, physical presence of family is affecting me. We are so glad to be near Mary and her family. That is one of the blessings of this mission. We just miss all the others so much.

I had better stop and appreciate what I do have here. We love the work with these wonderful people here in our mission. That is what counts. I need to enjoy what I have in the here-and-now, and know, through faith, that all things will be made good, through the grace and mercy of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Trust in Him. Rely on His perspective and realize that my perspective is so limited. Yes, life moves on. Change is inevitable. Love still abounds.

I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment