Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Danish research opportunities

I am continually amazed at how much there is still to be done on our Danish family research. For those of you not that closely related to me, if you have any Danish ancestors, this will still be of interest to you.

My father and mother and previous ancestors worked hard over many years to collect as much as they could on family research and we benefit greatly from their tireless work. Much of their work was focused on poring over page after page of microfilmed documents in the old genealogy library, only able to do their research when they could get away and go to downtown Salt Lake City to get access to these films (or later, have them shipped to local libraries, then using that same process).

I have mentioned several time to many people about the wonderful resources now available on the internet, both from the Danish state archives and also now on FamilySearch resources. It helps to understand some basics, including the language, but anyone who wants to spend a little time can start to pick up some techniques.
Try my page: http://buchananspot.com/joseph/genealogy/DanishHelper.html

With all that said, I want to show exactly what I mean by the many names still available to be researched and done. Granted, it is for cousins and their families, because most of the direct line work is complete as far as it can be with the records at hand, but I am still amazed at the close cousins that I have been finding.

A month ago, on my Grandmother Sarah Delilah Anderson Jacobson's line, I found some close cousins and have 55 names ready for temple work to be done. These are mostly 3rd cousins of our ancestors. Then, just two days ago, spurred on by a research suggestion on FamilySearch, I looked into the family of another close relative: Sidsel Jacobsdatter, the aunt of our ancestor Ole Hansen Jacobson. Her daughter Inger Kirstine Jensdatter was the suggestion to me, a simple source suggestion was offered. As I looked at it, I wondered why there were not any other children listed for her, or what her husband's last name would be. Just in the last two days, I have started filling in her family and have added 9 children and two husbands (most of those shown in dark blue on the right in the list below).


My point is this. Go to any of our ancestors, look at their aunts, uncles, first cousins, and then click on the descendancy chart and list 4 generations. If there are any without death dates, or if they lived to adulthood AND in either case do not show spouses or children, then there is likely someone to be found. This can be for people born even in the 1900s.

In this case, I haven't even started looking at the children of these children. As it is, many of these are second cousins of my grandfather, Eddie Jacobson. How many of you know personally some or all of your second cousins? These are not distant relatives! And they can be found in resources available from your home.

I am very willing to spend time helping anyone who would like to try their hand at this. It is fun. I love it when I have those "Eureka!" moments and I find someone. It is exciting.

It was particularly touching for me to find the twins in that Johansen family. They are listed as only living 1/2 hour and 1 hour respectively and were not given names, but they are now not forgotten.

As it happens, I have so many of these people that I cannot get to all of them for temple work. I would love to share them. I am getting to the point of sharing those a little father removed with the temple so that they can at least get some attention sooner. I would rather have those closely related do their proxy work.

Please pass this on to others in the family.

- Joseph

No comments:

Post a Comment