Saturday, January 26, 2019

Random thoughts found in my old Journal entries

I am in the process of going through old hand-written daily planner pages, which eventually became the place where I wrote journal entries. I am typing these into the computer. Sometimes I wrote thoughts that occurred to me at the time. Here are two that I recently found in my 1990 transcription process.


Thought:
"As society and its economy becomes more refined, the more brittle it becomes. It is less tolerant to problems. Things that used to be commonplace irritations or setbacks now become tragic catastrophes. We become more and more dependent on artificial supports. [In other words, ] Life goes on, don't expect it to be perfect." - Joseph F. Buchanan, journal entry for 23 Feb. 1990, while on ice fishing camp at Deer Creek , Utah.

Observation:
"All people have the same basic life characteristics. They just put a lot of appearances in the way. Accept a person — let them be without judging rapidly." - Joseph F. Buchanan, journal entry for 24 Oct. 1990, West Jordan, Utah.


The last one shows a common theme I had in my writings. I was quite guilty of judging people and things quickly, especially my own family. It has been a struggle most of my life. I hope I have made some progress, though I still suffer from this practice of unfair judgement and the ensuing feelings of frustration and anger. I am trusting more and more (at least trying to) in my Savior to make me a better person and to be meek, understanding and loving to all around me. It is only through Him that I can be who I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment