Thursday, August 13, 2026

The Loneliest Road, and the Nearby Flooding

 We live quite near U.S. Highway 50, which is referred to in a number of places as "the loneliest road in America," (e.g. see https://www.webuildvalue.com/en/reportage/us-highway-50.html) which runs nearly from coast-to-coast. For those who are from Delta, Utah, we live on the same road as you.


On U.S.50, looking out the window of the car to the Walmart building across the flooded Hocking River

Anyway, at this time it is also interesting that it is currently running right next to a very flooded river, the Hocking River, cutting off  quite a number of places along the way.


The main access road, flooded (see the stranded car in the water up ahead).

Today, it was my task to take our recycle stuff to the drop off place (about 12 miles away from home, in Caanan Township). Well, I discovered earlier today (as you see above) that the main access road was flooded. It is just past the bridge over the Hocking River near U.S. 50 (see map).


A map showing the destination and the three attempted flooded access roads

I knew that there were at least two other back roads that went to that recycling location, so I tried them. They were both also flooded. I know there are a few homes of people who live there, so I wonder how they will get and and out. It is a shame I don't have one of those cool pick-up trucks that have the snorkel...


the second attempt


the third attempt (I think these guys are going to go for a dip?!)

Anyway, we will recycle another day...

FYI, I just saw this local update: "The Hocking River is expected to crest at 23.7 feet, according to the National Weather Service. As of 12:15 PM EDT on August 13, the river had reached 20.31 feet, with a forecast of:
  • Current Forecast:
    • 2 PM, 8/13: 20.6 feet
    • 8 PM, 8/13: 20.5 feet
    • 2 AM, 8/14: 19.2 feet
  • Projected Crest: 23.7 feet, which would make it the fifth most severe flood in Athens history and the largest since 1968. If it reaches this level, the water will stay high for about a day."

No comments:

Post a Comment