Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Signs and Roads

We were out and about again last week, including a trip through Switzerland inspecting missionary apartments. I decided to snap a few pictures of signs, roads, etc. that are common to Europe that we see that would be unusual sights to Americans. So... if you are a European, please just skip to the next blog.

There is not much sense to the order of these, but I will do my best.

First of all, there are a LOT of round-a-bouts. You are sure to have seen a few of these in America, especially if you are in the East, but they are everywhere here. Sometimes they are pretty crazy. The first one is a normal one, usually 3 or 4. The basic symbol is the blue circle arrows sign.
Here is a more interesting one:

This one shows the Customs/Zoll places along the borders between countries. We crossed these 5 times that day.
This one is a road just before crossing the border between Austria and Switzerland (CH). Note the plentifully wide left turn lane. Driving lanes are kind of a fuzzy principle around here.

I had to throw this one in because we live in a fruit farming area. They sell apples all year round, but the also sell a lot of berries, etc. One thing I also wanted to show with this sign is the word they use for "plums."  When you say it, it sounds like you are choking on the pit: Zwetschgen. And no, the word "beer" that you see so much on this sign is the word for "berry," not beer.

I really don't know what this one is about. It says "Legalize Bratwurts!  Yes"  It is a political sign for something in Switzerland. (and yes, bratwursts are legal, as far as I know)

These are hiking.biking signs, saying how far away things are.

 This one has lettering on the building. The word Schmuck means jewelry.
Kirchgasse means church alley.
I love the word-less international signs, but this one is the funniest I have seen for a while. "Do not Enter!" I am hoping to mak a collection of these kinds of signs and get Quinn to make his own captions for them (inside family joke).

1 comment:

  1. So when my strange friend in middle school kept calling people "schmucks" he was calling them "jewelry"?

    And love the "legalize Brats!" sign...love to find out the history behind this one. I'll have to get Quinn away from his appraisals to check out the signs and give you his interpretations. I can't wait :)!

    ReplyDelete