Wednesday, March 6, 2013

How many ways can you say "spatula?"

Being in Europe is fun. One of the interesting things here is the multitude of languages. Everything has at least a few panels saying the same thing in another language. Sometimes, though, I think they get a little carried away.

The right side just says what this thing is (a spatula or a turner). The left says not to leave it in a hot pan - all in 23 languages.

I could not scan it, but I have a potato chip sack. The name on the front is "Crunchips   Salted" and is made in Germany. They love to use sort-of English words on their products. On the back it has what it is (in English, GB: Crunchy Potato crisps), and the ingredients, in:

German(D), English (GB), French(F), Italian(I), Spanish(E), Greek(GR), Portugal(P), Danish(DK), Bulgarian(BG), Slovenian(SLO), Croatian [not Hungarian](HR)(BIH), Russian(RUS), Armenian(ARM), Kazachstani(KZ), and Arabic(ARAB)

I guess you have a different world population who uses spatulas from those who eat potato chips.

2 comments:

  1. How funny! I love to see the smattering of different languages on products here...some don't even have Hungarian on it! There are also a great many in English or German as their main label. Where are we living, anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you posted this. I didn't know what the hungarian word for 'spatula' was. Now I do. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete